In vitro megakaryocyte and platelet production
Commonly used acronym: MK, PLT
Scope of the method
- Human health
- Basic Research
- Translational - Applied Research
- In chemico
- Animal derived cells / tissues / organs
- bone marrow
- platelet production
In vitro differentiation of hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) or inducible pluripotent stem cells (IPS) to megakaryocytes and platelets using specific differentiation conditions (liquid and 3D media). CRISPR/cas mutagenesis of HSC or IPS to study the effect of gene depletion or specific mutants on megakaryopoiesis and the production of platelets.
- - Cell culture equipment;
- - FACS;
- - Amaxa nucleotransfector;
- - Cell culture reagents and specific cytokines;
- - Molecular reagents and technologies.
- Still in development
- Internally validated
- Published in peer reviewed journal
Pros, cons & Future potential
Reduces the need for producing KO mice or other functional mice studies.
Impossible to generate high numbers of platelets that have the same characteristics as blood platelets.
Other groups are working on improving the capacity of platelet generation (for transfusion purposes).
References, associated documents and other information
Contact personKathleen Freson